Friday, October 31, 2008

For anyone looking for a worthwhile read...

I believe I started reading Philip Roth's American Pastoral in high school, but couldn't get through it. It's a rather dense book with multiple complex layers, by no means a quick-and-easy read. However I returned to it this summer and finished a couple weeks ago. I have never been affected so deeply by a book in my life. Roth is a masterful writer, and if you can manage to stick with his prose through the slow sections, you may realize that every word of those sections was absolutely necessary. It is truly powerful and moving, and I suggest anyone with some time (but seriously, who has any time? No one does, so everyone should read it...figure that logic out) find a copy and read it. 

So, once again: American Pastoral by Philip Roth. By far my favorite book of all time...so far. Read it.

-ZMG

No comments: