Thursday, December 04, 2008

Woke up this Morning

...at 8 a.m. and looked out my window. I thought to myself, "No, this can't be right. It can't be this dark at 8 a.m." To my dismay, I was wrong. Apparently in England it CAN be that dark at 8 a.m. Granted, it is a terribly overcast day, so that has something to do with it, but I was still shocked at the sheer dreariness of the outside world. And at wintertime in England, the ground is perpetually wet. The pavement hasn't been dry probably since early September. 

Here are some more observations:
  1. You have to pay for rice at Japanese and Chinese restaurants, whereas in the US, main courses usually come with an order of rice;
  2. (Some) English people know how to use chopsticks;
  3. British people are comfortable talking about their political and religious beliefs, and will ask outright what your political or religious affiliation is;
  4. It doesn't rain all the time in England. What's crazy about the weather is that it can be absolutely beautiful when you wake up, be cloudy and pouring by the time you leave your residence, and then be beautiful again by the time you return. Surely this unpredictable weather could drive anyone to insanity. I should look up statistics on insanity in Britain;
  5. Light switches are different in every country.
There will be more to come later. Stay tuned.

-ZMG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

speaking of light switches, do you want to know what I geek-ily have google-imaged about 10 times?

plugs.