Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Brief Academic Update

As we are already past the halfway point in the semester (our 7th week out of 12) I have begun working on my coursework for this semester (essays). On Monday, March 2, I have an essay due for my Holocaust class. I'm attempting to answer the question, "Did Germans kill Jews because they wanted to?" I also have an essay due on Thursday, March 6 for my Poetry in Dark Times class. I've yet to decide what I'm writing about for that paper.

For my Holocaust paper, I have three books to consult (so far): The Origins of the Final Solution, The Evolution of Nazi Jewish Policy 1939-1942, by Christopher R. Browning (Arrow, 2004), Hitler's Willing Executioners, Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust by Daniel J. Goldhagen (Vintage, 1997) and Hitler, the Germans, and the Final Solution by Ian Kershaw (Yale University Press, 2008). 

It has been fascinating, overwhelming and heartbreaking reading about the holocaust, and I will elaborate on why and what I've learned thus far when I have some more time. For now, though, I'm off to continue doing research and to continue outlining my essay. 

-ZMG

No comments: